Vancouver, BC – November 21, 2014
“Working with partners across the country, Wavefront is poised to help more entrepreneurs accelerate the growth of their mobile and Internet of Things businesses,” explains Wavefront President and CEO James Maynard, “By helping startups develop their product and find their markets, we can support the creation of more jobs and viable businesses that can compete here in Canada and in international markets, too.”
The CAIP funding will support the expansion of several successful Wavefront programs including:
- Venture Acceleration Program (VAP). Already in operation across British Columbia, the VAP provides startups with training and hands-on support from an experienced Executive in Residence. Working with delivery partners Accelerate Okanagan (Kelowna), Accelerate Tectoria (Victoria), Centennial College (Toronto), Invest Ottawa and Volta (Halifax), Wavefront will expand the reach of this proven successful program.
- Venture Expansion Program. Companies that move beyond the Venture Acceleration Program require help to grow their markets and procure investment. Wavefront is developing a follow-up program that will help startups overcome these important challenges.
- International Market Entry. Wavefront has facilitated introductions for numerous mobile and Internet of Things entrepreneurs with international markets. By expanding these efforts, Wavefront will ensure more Canadian mobile and Internet of Things companies are able to connect with business opportunities beyond our borders.
- Wireless Zones. Wavefront’s Device Rental Libraries offer mobile developers access to a wide range of devices, allowing them to test applications across multiple platforms and networks. Wavefront will establish more Wireless Zones across the country, increasing access to this important resource.
- Industry events. Wavefront organizes and takes part in a number of important events for the mobile and Internet of things sectors, including the annual Wavefront Summits, hackathons and networking meetings. These events will be enhanced and expanded to more communities across the country.
“The CAIP funding allows us to grow successful programs that are already delivering results,” says Brad Lowe, Wavefront Vice President, National Accelerator Operations. “It gives us the opportunity to build on the momentum we have generated over the past four years and help Canadian mobile and Internet of Things companies grow and succeed.”
Wavefront’s programs are supported by several key partners. The BC Innovation Council (BCIC) is providing funding for expansion of the Venture Acceleration Program. Rogers Communications is continuing its support of Wavefront events, facilities and wireless zones.
“Since we started working with Wavefront in January 2012, we have seen massive growth potential in Canada’s M2M space and we want the industry to continue to innovate and grow,” said Gord Nelson, VP Sales, BC, Alberta & Prairies, Rogers. “Our collaborative partnership with Wavefront is aimed at strengthening the technology and M2M startup community in Vancouver and across the country, and we’re thrilled to continue this partnership over the next five years. Our funding commitment of $4 million will give talented entrepreneurs access to new programs and business mentorship to help set them up for commercialization and long-term success.”
Sierra Wireless is also continuing its ongoing support of Wavefront initiatives.
– 30 –
About Wavefront – Wavefront is Canada’s Centre of Excellence for Wireless Commercialization and Research (CECR), accelerating the growth and success of wireless companies in Canada by connecting them with critical resources, partners and opportunities, to drive economic and social benefits for Canada. Wavefront products and services are available to wireless and non-wireless companies looking to leverage mobile technology. They include a comprehensive suite of accelerated commercialization and mentorship programs, international market linkages, state of the art wireless product development and testing infrastructure, and wireless training programs and events. For more information and to join the Wavefront Community, visit www.wavefront.ca/accelerator.
Director of Marketing
Email: [email protected]/accelerator