Nomination Deadline: November 30, 2014
Award Date: February 26, 2015
Location: Online for nomination
The Best Emerging Entrepreneur Award, sponsored by Futurpreneur Canada and the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation, recognizes a young individual who contributes to the social, cultural and economic well-being of their communities. This individual has demonstrated community leadership and entrepreneurial initiative, and has a strong vision for change.
- Vision: Displays a defined aspiration and intent of creating meaningful change in the individual’s chosen area of work, and is seen by peers as a thought and action leader.
- Community Contribution: The body of work of the individual is focused around building and supporting their communities.
- Entrepreneurial Initiative: Uses business as a means of creating change by developing a start-up venture that directs its profit towards social impact, defined as social, environmental, or cultural purposes.
To be eligible for the Best Emerging Entrepreneur Award, nominees must be between the ages of 18 to 39 and operating a socially-minded start-up venture, including, but not limited to, a social enterprise or social venture, for less than 12 months, with less than 50 employees.
To win this award, all nominees shortlisted as Top 10 semi-finalists will be required to provide:
- Description of the individual’s vision for change and the plan for how the vision will be created and executed
- Description of the entrepreneurial initiative, including a thorough Executive Summary identifying the products/services, customer profiling, market and competitive analysis, marketing strategy, and a summary of financial projections
- Explanation of how social impact is created, how it leads change in the community and how that impact/change is measured or planned to be measured
- Three peer references that consider the individual to be a thought and action leader
The winner of the Best Emerging Entrepreneur Award will be recognized with the Premier’s Prize in the amount of $1,500 cash.
The winner will also be offered a one-year all-access pass to Small Business BC education resources and experts, business mentorship from the award sponsor and the opportunity for extensive media exposure.