BCIC and Wavefront announce winners at Wavefront’s Centre of Excellence Launch
Vancouver, B.C. – BCIC and Wavefront (the Canadian wireless commercialization centre) today announced the twelve companies chosen to participate in year two of the [email protected] program. This 12-month program is designed to support and nurture early-stage B.C. wireless companies from product concept to market entry.
The successful applicants were evaluated and selected by a panel comprised of individuals from Wavefront, BCIC and the investment community.
“We were impressed with the range and quality of solutions presented this year,” commented Jim Maynard, President of Wavefront. “We saw cross-sector wireless innovation with concepts ranging from enterprise Machine-to-Machine (M2M) applications for the agriculture and health sectors to consumer applications spanning education, gaming and fashion.”
“BCIC is proud to continue its partnership with Wavefront as we welcome twelve new companies into this exciting incubator program,” said Mark Payne, Acting CEO of BCIC. “Last year, the program helped eight startups launch and grow into successful wireless companies. Collectively, they attracted over half a million dollars in investment, earned more than $350,000 in revenue, created 18 jobs and generated products that are penetrating growing markets. We look forward to watching this next wave of startups create their own successful outcomes.”
Participants of the 2011 [email protected] program are:
- 14 Oranges Software is creating Questogo, a mobile scavenger hunt platform where players undertake quests in their neighbourhoods or cities and that allows organizers to create quests and share the results.
- 8 Leaf Digital Productions develops Biba, bringing playgrounds into the digital age by connecting mobile devices with playground equipment.
- Adaia brings together an elite mobile team of communications and design partners to create a revolutionary mobile phone for the “Modern Adventurer”.
- AppilyWed is a mobile app and website that allows wedding guests to fully experience a wedding through the sharing of photos, videos and messages.
- Gauge Mobile Solutions provide the Scanvee QR Code and NFC solution that turns advertising displays into interactive, mobile enabled, points of sale.
- Mini Checkout provides a mobile application that will allow customers shopping at a retail store to self checkout using their smart phones.
- New Indigo Ventures produces “The Dolphin Ocean Rescue”, an interactive 3D mobile game that is fun, educational and gives back through its marine Eco-partner program.
- Reality Games is building a new and innovative way to entertain fashionistas with mobile technology, making their real world fashion experiences more fun, engaging and social.
- Smart Button is a patented dime-sized memory storage device on a card that leverages new smart phone NFC circuits to wirelessly deliver everything from apps, songs, advertising and product manuals to your mobile device without broadband access.
- Trusterra specializes in building rich, cloud connected mobile applications and its flagship Scoop™ focuses on human friendly data capture and collaboration for distributed and field teams.
- ReFlex Wireless offers an agile data acquisition system for capturing transient medical data from patients, and provides a suite of analytical software for medical professionals to perform fast diagnostics and to quickly identify obscure biomarkers.
- Xonsen develops M2M Middleware enabling the “Internet of Things” by connecting Zigbee sensor networks into the Cloud.
Companies selected this year will immediately receive access to office space in Wavefront’s downtown accelerator centre and work with the team to develop an action plan for commercialization, determining the most effective mix of Wavefront expertise to accelerate their businesses forward. Full details on the [email protected] program are available online at http://www.wavefront.ca/accelerator/entrepreneurship-at-wavefront.
Wavefront is the national centre of excellence for wireless commercialization accelerating the growth and success of wireless companies in Canada. Wavefront improves speed-to-market and delivery of mobile applications and wireless technologies by providing emerging companies with a suite of WaveGuide™ training, mobile industry advisory services, incubation services, testing resources and market linkages that facilitate commercial engagement with the mobile network and enterprise ecosystem companies around the world. Learn more at www.wavefront.ca/accelerator.
BCIC (British Columbia Innovation Council) develops entrepreneurial talent and commercializes technology through startup companies and partnerships between industry and academia. BCIC focuses on competitively positioning British Columbia in today’s global knowledge economy in order to provide significant employment opportunities and a high standard of living for British Columbians. For more information about BCIC, visit www.bcic.ca or www.twitter.com/bcic.
Share this Post